Oldcastle Precast manufactures precast concrete soundwall to meet ODOT specifications as per drawing BR740. The standard width is 12’-11 ¾”. The maximum height is 16’. Although the standard wall has a fractured fin finish, other finishes are available.
Highway traffic is probably the most common and widespread source of noise impacting residential and other noise sensitive sites. The Federal Highway Administration has established a maximum noise level criterion of 67 dBA to limit the impacts of highway noise on the majority of land uses.
A sound barrier must meet the following requirements to be effective in reducing environmental noise:
- A barrier must block the line of sight between the source and receiver to provide attenuation of the direct sound.
- A barrier must be constructed of material with sufficient weight and with no openings to ensure transmitted sound will be negligible.
- The barrier must be of sufficient height and length to adequately reduce the effect of defracted sound around the perimeter.
The precast concrete soundwall meets all of the above requirements.
- Constructed of thick concrete, one free of cracks and holes unlike a material such as wood.
- Durable and will not break down after exposure to the elements.
- Requires no maintenance such as painting.
- Designed for quick installation.
- Provides an esthetic noise barrier that will fit into almost any environmental setting.
Oldcastle Precast has produced over 500,000 square feet of soundwall since the precast design was adopted by ODOT in the early 1980’s. Most of the soundwall projects have been done for ODOT, but we have also done a number of other public and private soundwall projects.
Precast soundwalls are an economical solution to noise problems created from highway and industrial areas.