Storm Capture™ and LEED Credits
Oldcastle Precast’s Storm Capture system can contribute to a project’s certification under the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED certification program.
Potential areas of impact include Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Materials and Resources, and Innovation and Design Process.
Credit 6.1 Stormwater Design, Quantity Control
• Storm Capture is designed to control stormwater runoff volume to prevent stream erosion, allow onsite treatment, and/or infiltration, and/or reuse.
Credit 6.2 Stormwater Design, Quality Control
• Storm Capture can be combined with a menu of treatment options to reduce stormwater pollution.
Credity 7.1 Heat Island Effect, Non-roof
• Storm Capture has a design option that includes the use of permeable pavers from Oldcastle Architectural Products Group. Permeable pavers can gain LEED credit for reduced heat island effects.
Credit 1.1 Water Efficient Landscaping, Reduce by 50%
Credit 1.2 Water Efficient Landscaping, No Potable Use or No Irrigation
• Storm Capture Reuse System provides stormwater and/or greywater recycling for beneficial uses like irrigation, cooling towers, and toilet flushing.
Credit 2.0 Innovative Wastewater Technologies
• Storm Capture Reuse System provides stormwater and/or greywater recycling to reduce potable water usage for toilet flushing. Storm Capture, when used with infiltration options can increase groundwater recharge.
Credit 3.1 Water Use Reduction, 20% Reduction
Credit 3.2 Water Use Reduction, 30% Reduction
• Storm Capture Reuse System provides stormwater and/or greywater recycling to reduce potable water usage for cooling towers, toilet flushing, fire protection, and irrigation.
Materials and Resources
Credit 4.1 Recycled Content, 10% (post-consumer plus ½ pre-consumer)
Credit 4.2 Recycled Content, 20% (post-consumer plus ½ pre-consumer)
• Storm Capture includes recycled materials such as:
o Fly Ash – the byproduct of coal burning power plants that adds beneficial characteristics to concrete like long-term durability.
o Rebar – reinforcing steel cast in our concrete is 100% recycled materials.
Credit 5.1 Regional Materials, 10%
Credit 5.2 Regional Materials, 20%
• Oldcastle has approximately 70 manufacturing facilities around the country so products are manufactured locally and in many cases, with local materials.
Innovation and Design Process
Credits for Innovation and Design Process are possible for exceptional performance above and beyond the standards required by other categories, as well as for innovative ideas not addressed in other categories.