Pre Engineered Track Support Systems
Product Available Nationally*
Heavy Duty Crossing
StarTrack Railroad Products have been installed in hundreds of projects throughout the country since 1987, resulting in rail solutions that can be counted on to provide decades of reliable service. Our seasoned sales and engineering staff entrust many years of railroad experience and their knowledge of the industry to provide quality solutions for both standard and custom installations.
Oldcastle Precast is the industry leader in developing solution driven products. Our well-publicized commitment to R&D and innovative engineering has resulted in many new products for the railroad industry. Extra heavy loading, curved alignments, anti-vibration systems, and environmental protection collection systems are but a few of the innovative solutions we offer.
- Easy to Install
- Radius Track
- Heavy Duty Port/Intermodal
- Fast Service
- Cost Savings
- Quality Control
- In-House Engineering & Design
- Class I Railroad Approved
- On-Site Contractor Assistance
- Modules designed for fast installation with 4 hook lift anchors embedded in each piece.
- Designed to meet AREMA standards and Cooper E-80 Loading plus 60% impact factor.
- Custom “pie-shaped” pieces to meet the curvature of the track.
- StarTrack HD Modules are the proven and preferred crossing of America’s Largest Ports and Class I Intermodal Yards.
- Quick and easy project help by our national team with pricing and layouts.
- Highly competitive installed and life-cycle costs.
- Manufactured to the rigid standards of the Oldcastle Precast quality control programs at our facilities nationwide.
- Professional engineering staff and industry leading computer design software provide technical support and stamped drawings when required.
- In service with Class I RR’s and successfully tested on the Heavy Axle Load Loop (HAL) at the Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo, CO.
- Over 150,000 track feet installed without a single structural failure.
- Experienced StarTrack sales and service personnel available to support installations.
Product Information Downloads
Railroad Track Precast Concrete Solution
Tracks Unlimited Thermite Welding
From Oldcastle Precast, the leading manufacturer of precast concrete in the US, comes the StarTrack pre-engineered railroad track support systems. Whether your project needs a simple at grade crossing, a heavy duty crossing for industry, a tanker car spill containment system, or a vehicle maintenance inspection pit, StarTrack meets the track support demands of your project.
StarTrack Standard Crossing
Our Standard StarTrack is designed for Cooper E-80 Loading with 60% impact; a long lasting, maintenance free crossing surface for freight, commuter, and light rail applications. Standard crossings are 8’ wide x14” thick and are available in 3 lengths (5’, 7.5’, 17.5’). Custom pie-shaped pieces are available to meet the curvature of the track.
Heavy Duty Crossing
StarTrack Heavy Duty Crossing
StarTrack HD Crossing Modules are the proven and preferred crossing of America’s largest ports and intermodal facilities. This is our solution to heavy traffic applications and areas with bad subgrade. HD crossings are 11’ wide, 16” thick and 5’ long. Custom pie-shaped pieces available to meet curvature of track.
StarTrack Drip Track
StarTrack HD Crossing Modules are the proven and preferred crossing of America’s largest ports and intermodal facilities. This is our solution to heavy traffic applications and areas with bad subgrade. HD crossings are 11’ wide, 16” thick and 5’ long. Custom pie-shaped pieces available to meet curvature of track.For sites requiring containment of drips and spills, our system provides a durable and permanent solution that can be combined with other systems for larger containment volumes. Standard size is 5’ long by 11’ wide.
StarTrack Rail Scale
Most weigh-in-motion rail scales require concrete approaches and foundations for the weigh cell. We team with rail scale manufactures to provide modular precast track support systems to meet scale requirements, allowing projects to be installed quickly with no doubts on quality.
StarTrack Spill Containment
For sites with tanker car spill containment requirements, we provide custom spill containment systems capable of holding over 33,000 gallons. Containment volume can be stored in line (between the rails) or offline (outside the rails), and collected as designed in spill storm water pollution prevention plans (SWPPP).
StarTrack Inspection Pit
Our vehicle/locomotive inspection pits provide a safe access for inspections and are easily customized with lighting, electrical, and stairs.
StarTrack Conveyor Pit
Our custom built conveyor/unloading pits are engineered to meet AREMA Standards. Our systems install quickly with minimal QC required in the field, allowing conveying and track operations to begin soon after installation.
StarTrack Wash Bay
StarTrack systems can be customized to provide drainage to center line of track into a French drain, creating easily serviceable Truck/Train-wash stations.
- Easy to Install - Modules designed for fast installation with 4 hook lift anchors embedded in each piece.
- Codes - Designed to meet AREMA standards and Cooper E-80 Loading plus 60% impact factor.
- Radius Track - Custom “pie-shaped” pieces to meet the curvature of the track.
- Heavy Duty Port/Intermodal - StarTrack HD Modules are the proven and preferred crossing of America’s Largest Ports and Class I Intermodal Yards.
- Fast Service - Quick and easy project help by our national team with pricing and layouts.
- Cost Savings - Highly competitive installed and life-cycle costs.
- Quality Control - Manufactured to the rigid standards of the Oldcastle Precast quality control programs at our facilities nationwide.
- In-House Engineering & Design - Professional engineering staff and industry leading computer design software provide technical support and stamped drawings when required.
- Class I Railroad Approved - In service with Class I RR’s and successfully tested on the Heavy Axle Load Loop (HAL) at the Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo, CO.
- Reliability - Over 150,000 track feet installed without a single structural failure.
- On-Site Contractor Assistance - Experienced StarTrack sales and service personnel available to support installations.
1) Preliminary Subsurface Investigation (Optional)
Prior to removal of ties and ballast, soil samples shall be taken by a recognized soil testing laboratory and through laboratory analysis, sufficient data is collected to evaluate the depth of excavation and thickness of base required.
2) Subgrade Preparation
Rails, ties, asphalt, ballast, and sub ballast will be removed from an area comprising the length of the crossing plus 15’ on each end and 10’ wide (13’ wide for HD) to a minimum depth of 12” below precast modules, or as determined above. If any areas of pumping or other indications of instability are encountered, they shall be undercut as required and backfilled with compacted base course material. The resulting subgrade shall be scarified and compacted to 95% of its peak dry density. Drainage tile shall then be installed in a trench area, surrounded by open graded stone or filter fabric. The entire excavated area and sides shall be lined with an approved fabric equal in performance characteristics to “TYPAR” style 3401. The base course material shall be applied in 4” lifts compacted to 98% of peak dry intensity. The leveling course (1-1/2” maximum thickness) shall be carefully screeded to the grade shown. Screeded surface to be within +/- 1/4” of grade. Fill and compact entire excavation. See StarTrack’s “StarTrack Base Options” for other acceptable subgrade procedures.
Asphalt Underlayment Base
Subbase Options - Modules sit on prepared subgrade: Various subbase options determined by site soil conditions. Options include aggregate (shown), asphalt underlayments, and controlled density fill.
3) Module Placement
Modules shall be placed on the resulting base as snug as possible to one another and to within +/- 1/4” in alignment, utilizing lifting hardware provided. Sika 1A and T-Strip sealant shall be applied as shown on the drawing details. Should any screeded surface irregularity become evident during placement of modules, the module shall be removed and the surface corrected.
4) Placing and Fastening of Rail
Rail shall then be placed along StarTrack modules on both sides and all rail splicing completed, making sure all polyethylene pads are in place. After laying rail into blockout groove, start rail installation by centering rail between a set of shoulders, inserting nylon insulators, and then pull the clips into place over the insulators with the pandrol puller or other acceptable methods. Repeat this process throughout the crossing, then connect rail to track rail by normal methods. If necessary, adjust final alignment by moving modules with rail jacks or backhoe.
5) Placing of Rail Groove Filler
Install rubber rail groove filler according to StarTrack’s rail Groove Filler Installation Instructions for StarTrack Rubber Inserts.
6) Final Completion
Surface the adjacent track construction with new 10’ switch ties in the transition area. Install signal wiring in conduit if required. Apply T-Strips to joints as required. Clean all debris from excavation and pave alongside, up to and flush with module. Apply asphalt at ends of crossing to provide a 5’ transition from tie surface to module surface (optional). If asphalt is used for rail groove filler, run locomotive across to cut flangeway. Remove all constuction debris from site and leave completed crossing in a clean condition. Package and ship loaned lifting hardware to plant (freight prepaid.)
Call today to learn how StarTrack can improve your next project.